[Proj] Re: Comments of tmerc, etmerc and ftmerc errors

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:47:53 EDT 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 3:34 pm, strebe at aol.com wrote:
> Thanks for running these tests.
>
> Quoting:
>
> Extended geographic range usage of any conformal projection is a
> contentious issue as any resultant grid system has sufficiently large scale
> errors as to make the Cartesian usage of the grid very questionable.
> This is true of any projection. It is true that conformal projections carry
> an inevitable disproportion of areas, but that's not related to scale
> error.

Are you saying scale and its associated error is not related to error of area?

Snyder (1395, p. 24) says "s=hk" where s is areal scale factor and h and k are
the meridian and parallel scale factors (in the orthogonal case).

I must be misinterpreting your words.(?)

> Regards,
> -- daan Strebe

	---
-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist