[Proj] Re: Comments of tmerc, etmerc and ftmerc errors

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:56:35 EDT 2008

We got sidetracked.  Lets go back to the original email:

My comment:
Extended geographic range usage of any conformal projection is a contentious
issue as
any resultant grid system has sufficiently large scale errors as to make the
Cartesian usage of the grid very questionable.
Your comment:
This is true of any projection. It is true that conformal projections carry an
inevitable disproportion of areas, but that's not related to scale error.

My sentense had nothing to do with area and by Cartesian usage I was denoting
measuring distances, azumuths, etc. from the Cartesian data and it certainly
seems that scale error greatly affects these measurements.

What got me sidetracked was your non sequitur second sentence in the sense
that I did not mention area in my cited comment.

Mea culpa.
-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist