[Proj] Re: Comments of tmerc, etmerc and ftmerc errors

Noel Zinn ndzinn at comcast.net
Sat Jun 14 11:43:14 EDT 2008

Bravo, Gerald!

Your mention of geocentric x-y-z is consistent with a minority view
(growing, I hope) within the oil exploration IT community that all of
cartography (not just conformal, and including all the distortions that
cartography is heir to) can be done away with.  Our newest generation of
geophysical interpretation workstation applications works in 3 orthogonal,
linear coordinates without any hint of geodetic or cartographic awareness.
Why distort a 3D world into 2D horizontally (called a map projection, with a
third vertical dimension tacked on), when the 3D world can be represented
"in the box" in 3D in geocentric x-y-z (AKA Earth-Centered Earth-Fixed, or
ECEF)?  The view is that of Google Earth or ESRI's ArcGlobe, but one can
penetrate the Earth to any target depth.  Seems like a no-brainer.  When
will pigs fly?  Soon, I hope.  It makes sense.

Noel Zinn

PS - ECEF does present its own problems, but they're not geodetic or
cartographic problems about which computer whiz kids know little.  Give them
a coordinate system they understand (trigonometry in 3 dimensions) and
miracles will happen!