[Proj] Gauss-Schreiber: the continuing story

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 15:55:08 EDT 2008

Mugnier's Chap. 3  of *The Mathematics of Photogrametry* claims that the
Gauss-Schreiber projection is just an additional truncation of the Taylor
series Gauss-Kruger---like the Gauss-Boaga but one step further.

However, referring to p. 163 of *Map Projections---A reference manual* by
Bugayevskiy and Snyder:

"The Gauss-Schreider projection was developed about 1880 and used for the
Prussian land survey.  It consists of a double conformal transformation of
the  ellipse onto the sphere and then of the sphere onto the plane using the
spherical transverse Mercator projection.  The central merdian varies in
scale."

And, of course, we have the IGN claim with Laborde in NT/G 73.  I am not sure
what the timing was but because Laborde's Madegascar efforts were circa 1929
then the best he can probably claim is rediscovering the projection.  The
Madagascar should not be confused with the NT/G 73 and I am only  using it as
a reference to one period where we know he was active as I do not have his
birth-death dates.

I am now of the opinion that libproj4's original designation of the projection
is correct and a only a documention note should be made that it may have also
have been used by Laborde at a later date.

More comments on Gauss-Schreiber's truncated Taylor series later.

-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist