[Proj] bugfix PROJ.4 release?

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Mon Jun 30 19:49:18 EDT 2008

In regards to "reality checks," the specification written by the United States National Geodetic Survey for map projection transformations is for the maintenance of computational accuracy of plus or minus one-tenth of a millimeter between forward and invese solutions.  Anything "better" than that is silliness and not part of the national specification for the North American Datum of 1983.  (Special Publication Number 5 by James Stem (in pdf format) available from www.ngs.noaa.gov .)

I have had to correct junior engineers in the past regarding changing Fortran format statements ... increasing the number of decimal points displayed does NOT increase the accuracy of the input data!  In like fashion, double-double/quad precision/long double accomplishes nothing but expend extra electrons in this particular context.  A googolplex of these computations might save a barrel of oil ... !  :-)

Ahem.

Cliff Mugnier
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY