[Proj] Re: Linear projections reply

strebe strebe at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 21:19:34 EDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 4:03:34 PM, "Michael Ossipoff" <mikeo2106 at msn.com>
wrote:
> Cylindric projections are a specialization of pseudocylindric.
> Whether it is incorrect to call a cylindric projection
> "pseudocylindric" is something best left to > those of uselessly
> pedantic temperment.

Oh come on now, you're saying that no one should ever say anything
about the merits of a term.
I fail to see how my comment could be interpreted anywhere nearly so
generally.
No one can deny that saying that a cylindrical projection is
"pseudocylindrical" has something of a self-contradictory sound. How
about generalized-cylindrical, or cylindricalish, or something like
that? Maybe some would say that "generalized-cylindrical" is too long,
and that "cylindricalish" is too colloquial-sounding. But the -ish,
-isch, -isk, -ic suffix has a lot of historical validity. Maybe it
acquired its colloquial popularity because of its brevity, but that
shouldn't deny us the use of that brevity.
This does not seem to be going anywhere. Good luck.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe