[Proj] Re: Transverse Mercator algorithm

strebe strebe at aol.com
Tue May 27 14:35:10 EDT 2008

Frank:

I reviewed a promising paper on this topic two years ago. The author took the novel approach of leaving the series development on the complex plane instead of teasing apart the real and imaginary portions. This resulted in a much simpler expression of the series, including inverse. This leaves room for more terms without becoming unwieldy. Unfortunately the paper came with some important problems and did not see publication in that form. I do not know who the author was, or authors were, and I have not heard any more about it.

You might contact Elisabeth Nelson of CaGIS about manuscript MS06916, "The Formulation of Gauss Projection by Complex Numbers". It may be that the author has published by now, or that "he" would be willing to share details anyway.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe