[Proj] Problem overlaying georeferenced images in Google,Maps(projection problem!)

Eric Miller EMiller at dfg.ca.gov
Thu May 29 12:49:15 EDT 2008

Yes, Google maps uses a spherical model rather than ellipsoidal (hence, +a == +b in the destination coordinate system).  So, it's not really WGS84.  However, my understanding is that GMaps projection assumes there isn't any difference.  So, source coordinates should be converted to Geodetic on the WGS84 ellipsoid/datum and then projected onto the Google Mercator "WGS84" sphere ignoring the fact that the models are really different.  So, the +towgs84 parameter on the destination should probably be defined as +towgs84=0,0,0.

Good Luck,
Eric