[Proj] Standard meridians

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:32:02 EST 2008

While I am in the mood to study changes/enhancements I remember the old
request for specifying standard meridians.

I previously pooh-poohed the idea as I felt is was a function of the
application program and not a library operation.

What is a question in my mind is what does the standard meridian correction
apply to?  All longitude including option control longitude like lon_0, or
just selected elements that refer to some longitude parameter (lon_0 is the
only one I can think of).  Does the correction apply to input/output
geographic data?  If it is both I/O data and control data why
bother---consider the entire run as in the alternate standard meridian space.

Bottom line: if there is a correction for standard meridian, to what aspects
of longitude in the projection process does it apply?