[Proj] Any access to geodetic[sic] functions ??

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 12 12:11:48 EST 2008

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> If you want to be lazy *and* do it the right way then for a very good
> procedure to calculate inter point distances see:
>
> http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/Inv_Fwd/
>
> and algorithm details published in:
>
> www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/inverse.pdf

> At one time a program called 'geod' was distributed with my versions of proj4
> but it was based upon a poorer algorithm has has been dropped.

> I made a C version of the Vincente procedures but have not distributed it.
>
>> I'm not opposed to treating them as a core capability but I do think some
>> consideration should be given to the API before this would occur.  Ideally
>> this would be something someone else than me might take on (possibly with
>> some advice from me).

That would be great -- I think having this bundled up in a library with
a decent API would be very useful to the community. I know I would use it.

I think I'd rather see it as an independent library, perhaps used by
Proj, rather than built in to Proj, but it's not a huge difference.

Now we just need someone with a bit of time to take a lead on developing
the API....

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov