[Proj] Any access to geodetic[sic] functions ??

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 11:18:52 EST 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 4:24:08 am Hamish wrote:
> Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > Ok, you asked for it.  The inverse problem:
> >
> > /* Translation of NGS FORTRAN code for determination of true distance
> > ** and respective forward and back azimuths between two points on the
> > ** ellipsoid.
>
> cheers, this will be most useful.
>

> for the sake of satisfying the issues of the parallel licensing thread,
> it must be asked under which (if any) licensing terms you post this code
> beyond the original NGS public terms.
> ?
>
> I would also ask, if the intention of posting this code to the PROJ.4
> FAQ is to create a reference implementation of the inv. geodesic "gold
> standard" in C/Python/Javascript/LEGO lang/etc. for the greater good
> of humanity (or to at least slow down the propagation of poorer methods,
> and their results), then should Pittman's version be pursued next?
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.proj-4.devel/3361/focus=3366
>

> Hamish

Regarding the Pittman method, a quick browse of the net did not show any
sources for Pittman's FORTRAN code.  Certainly it would be a nice idea to go
that direction but I currently do not have anything to work with.

I suppose that I might be able to get a dead-tree copy through my local
library but it would be a lot easier if there was a computer readable,
electron copy of the FORTRAN somewhere---like the NGS material.

(somewhere there needs to be a distinction between "computer readable" like a
pdf or jpg copy versus "computer readable" where I can compile the file with
FORTRAN)

BTW: all the NGS stuff is now in de-f2c'ed, 'go-to-less' form but needs a
better wrapper and cleanup of the headers.  The FORTRAN code has an error
where the back azimuth is greater than 360 but the C copy is proper.  Go
figure.
This stuff is on the back burner for a few days as Anderson brought up a
couple of libproj4 errors with Winkel II, et al.  Should be a revised manual
and libproj4 in a few days.