[Proj] Bit curious about +ellps

Emmanuel Séguin emmanuel.seguin at ign.fr
Thu Nov 27 09:28:13 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm currently using proj registry file (epsg) for building a little library.
Therefore i do have a question regarding the +ellps tag.

Some projections have a +a and +rf or +b tag (defining the ellipsoid) and
some projections are using the +ellps tag. I assume that projections defined
with the +a and +rf/+b tags are relying on uncommon ellipsoid definitions.
But what I find a bit peculiar considering the way proj is relying on
registry/dictionnary files is that ellipsoid definitions used by +ellps are
actually stored into pj_ellps.c.

Wouldn't it be more transparent for users to have an ellipsoid
registry/configuration file ? Or am i completely wrong here ;) ?

Manu discovering proj4