[Proj] Command Line Utility(ies) to Transform Shape Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 30 10:43:55 EST 2008

Kevin M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know if there are any command line utilities with Windows
> version that could be used to perform a NAD27 to WGS84 conversion on an
> existing shape file?  I would prefer these to be true command line utilities
> rather than perl or python scripts if possible.
>
> I have used nad2nad for similar purposes on text files, but I don't know of a
> simple way to run nad2nad on a shape file.

Kevin,

This can be accomplished with ogr2ogr, a utility in the GDAL/OGR suite.

eg.

ogr2ogr -s_srs NAD27 -t_srs WGS84 out.shp in.shp

Note that it is important to have the appropriate grid shift files set up.
The FWTools or OSGeo4W environments will include all the appropriate components
though they are by no means minimalist for this task.