[Proj] Status of projection inverses

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 22:43:04 EDT 2008

Several days have gone by without any comments on the subject but that does
not mean that I am not working on it.

1. trying to get a better initial  guess process via some rough polynomial
method pretty well went up in flames.

2. but using the gsl library of multidimensional root finding shows a great
deal of progress and converges faster than the simple Newton-Raphson and is
more tolerant of poor initial conditions.

3. gsl can also do the same job without a Jacobian requiring derivatives.  For
those who have not already noticed, there are many inverseless projections
where the derivatives would be impossible or nearly so---even with help from
maxima.

Conclusions here are that I am going to finish up this project with the gsl
methodology in order to preserve my own sanity.  ;-)

The gsl library already requires gsl for one projection so there is nothing
new in the gsl option.

For those who cannot abide by the gsl license I will continue to use the
switches in the Makefile to eliminate code that uses that library.  The
bottom line is that some inverse projections will not be available to non-gsl
users.  Sorry.