[Proj] Status of projection inverses

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Sun Oct 26 06:19:26 EDT 2008

I can't see why it is necessary to go through all the computational overhead
of GNU GSL.
The inverse of the Winkel-Tripel as outlined in the Ipbucker-Bildirici paper
didn't give much problems, apart from some extreme regions which should be
forbidden.
The inverse of the Aitoff-Hammer was even less problematic. Only for a
latitude of +/-90d the longitude couldn't be restored from the inverse, but
this situation can probably be cured in another way.
The Aitoff-Hammer needed only a couple of iterations (less than 11 for a
loop-break error of 1e-14). For starting values in the iteration I simply
used lat=0, lon=0.
So, please enlighten me and tell us where the actual problems can be found.

Oscar van Vlijmen