[Proj] Why?

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Mon Oct 27 09:48:36 EDT 2008

"Gerald I. Evenden" <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com> kirjoitti:
> One burning question has come up in my mind about the need for inverse
> solutions for non-grid-system projections like Aitoff, Hammer, etc.: why?

For our part we need the inverse for every projection, since the users want to
get their coordinates and other information just by clicking on the maps. For
us those projections without forward and inveres are not usable at all. We
currently simply discard all projections which do not have inverses. So we
need them both all the time. And of course in the view point of having a
general projection package there could be all the inverses also defined
as far as it is practical.

Regards: Janne.