[Proj] Having all projection inverses was Re: Why

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 29 16:54:30 EDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Melita Kennedy wrote:

>> But Aitoff or Winkel Tripel.  What source information is in either
>> projection.
>> Are people now going to digitize NGS maps?  Certainly nobody uses
>> Winkel
>> Tripel for cadastral application---do they?
>>
>> Just very curious.
>
> At least how we used to do it, you also must have an inverse to
> project imagery
> (once the output cells are defined, unproject to figure out the cell
> values).

Ah, there's a point - GRASS uses inverse-projecting to project rasters
(for speed, I think).  I once had to revert to Arc to project the
GLOBE data to Winkel Tripel to generate shaded relief for a client.
Bleh.  (the gdalwarp tool didn't work at the time on this huge
dataset, I haven't tried since)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy