[Proj] Lease block definition

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 10:31:01 EDT 2008

A few weeks ago the item of oil lease blocks came up as an item to be plotted
on extended range TM maps.  My encounter with lease blocks was only as a
short spectator of someone digitizing the irregular shore boundaries of said
lease blocks.

My understanding is that the lease block boundaries are established in terms
of UTM grid coordinates?  If so, what are the typical side lengths in meters?

My recollection was that one of the reasons for selecting TM for large area
mapping was because of "facilitating" the plotting of lease blocks.  True,
false?

Any information related to what has been done or proposed for large region
mapping with TM would be appreciated.