[Proj] What is the meaning of the "Mercator 41" projection inEPSG:3752 ?

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Thu Sep 4 04:59:40 EDT 2008

Thanks for your replies.

Hamish wrote:
> Are you looking at this dataset or something else
> like gas exploration maps from NZ's GNS?

Well, actually, no.  I am just writing code to convert an OGRSpatialReference
to the corresponding thing in Carmenta Engine.  To create test examples for
various projections, it is convenient to call

    OGRSpatialReference.importFromEPSG( int nCode );

and when I was looking for examples of Mercator, I found EPSG:3752,
which I thought was interesting, until I realized that I had no idea
of what the result ought to be.

> fwiw, the ESPG entry is:
> # WGS 84 / Mercator 41
> <3752> +proj=merc +lon_0=100 +k=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs  <>

Hm. I don't think this can be correct, since the number 41 does not occur anywhere.

By the way, there is no way in Carmenta Engine to set a non-zero
"Latitude of natural origin" for a Mercator projection. (A standard
parallel can be set, though.) I was thinking that maybe I could emulate
a non-equatorial natural origin by fiddling with the falseNorthing
instead. But if this is a very unusual way to define a Mercator
projection, I suppose I ought to throw an exception instead.

Best regards,
       Mikael

--
Mikael Rittri