[Proj] Scale factor for Transverse Mercator

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Sep 10 15:17:50 EDT 2008

The State Plane Coordinate Systems were originally conceived in the 1930s (from observed experiences in Indirect Artillery Fire Control during WWI), and were actually implemented in the 1940s-1950s.  The specification for Second-Order Transit Tape traverse survey closures at that time in the U.S. was 1:10,000.  In keeping with that criterion, the maximum scale factor at a point for a Zone was then intended to not be greater than that same amount.  Many Zones may exceed that by a smidgeon, though ...  The reason for that was with Surveyors having limited computational power at the time (pencil, paper, & tables of logarithms), a Surveyor could omit the correction for Scale Factor at a Point to convert from Grid Distances to Geodetic Distances and vice versa and still achieve survey closures to at least Third-Order accuracies, sometimes Second-Order.

The World Polyconic Grid used as the artillery grid system in the U.S. and the Netherlands East Indies for WWII by the U.S. Army was changed to the UTM in 1948 by Army Map Service.  The Scale Factor at a Point maximum of 1:2,500 at the Central Meridian was considered OK for Fire Control because for this application, the 6° Zones were limited in longitudinal extent because of the convergence angle between Grid North and Geodetic North - soldiers don't really care that much about the difference between Grid Distance and Geodetic Distance ... the blast radius of a 155mm Howitzer shell takes care of that little "problem."

The State Plane Coordinate Systems of the U.S.C.&G.S. and the Universal Grid Systems of the U.S. Army had entirely different criteria in their individual designs.  Both work just fine for their intended applications.  It has been observed by Military Geodesists that "A major battle will occur at every Grid Zone Boundary," and as a result they came up with the Zone-to-Zone Transformation Tables to extend a single UTM Zone up to 24° from the Central Meridian.

Cliff Mugnier
LSU