[Proj] Scale factor for Transverse Mercator

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:42:33 EDT 2008

Originally, the military did not expect Academics to figure out a way to get around the single point-positioning mode of the NAVSTAR (GPS) system.  The DoD figured that on paper, dithering the signal would not allow our combatants to utilize our GPS system as guidance for their ordnance against us.

It was expected that dithering the signal would/could increase the "circle of uncertainty" to 100-300 meters, thus rendering GPS unusable to our enemies in a conventional, non-nuclear-warhead war.  Remember, NAVSTAR was originally conceived in the early 1970s, and was not envisioned as ever being useable for the civilian community - at that time.

Remember it was Niels Bohr that said, "Prediction is a pretty tough thing to do, especially in the future."

Cliff Mugnier