[Proj] Unknown projection?

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 11:16:02 EDT 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 8:38:25 am support.mn at elisanet.fi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a picture from 60's and I can not figure out what is the projection
> used. Can anybody help me?
>
> Here is the map:
>
> http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/_videos_/maps/WorldRtsL.jpg
>
> http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/_videos_/maps/WorldRtsL.jpg
>

> Regards: Janne

Most likely one of the flat-polar modified Azimuthals like the Winkel Tripel.
See Modified Azimuthals figure in libproj4 Manual.  Unfortunately, your map's
poles are trimmed off.

Your problem is where a lot of people would like to boil in oil publishers of
maps that do not include margin statement about the projection used and
possible options.  No, not boiled in oil.  Drawn and quartered is better.

PS: by "flat-polar" I mean that the meridians to not come to a point.  The
Poles may be either a straight or a curved line.

Isn't the National Geographic Society using Winkel Tripel now instead of the
Robinson projection?  NGS is a good example of proper map annotation.