[Proj] Unknown projection?

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 15:53:30 EDT 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 2:59:01 pm OvV_HN wrote:
> [...]

Yes, yes, an obvious approach and, as I was referring to earlier, one that can
cost cpu ticks because it is an iterative process---bivariate Newton-Raphson.
In addition, there can be problems with initial phi/lamda estimates but in
this case they should not be too difficult.  A nasty bit is coming up with
analytic derivatives or failing that, the more costly process of making
numerical derivatives---more iterations on the forward equations and hassles
near the projection limits with altering the numerical steps.  Etc.,
etc. ... .

One last problem is for those who might chafe under a GNU license because I
would use GNU's Scientific Library for such efforts.  One projection in
libproj4 already uses GSL but makefile flags allow for its exclusion if the
eventual user does not have nor want the GSL library on their system.

Y'all may get a feeling for why I avoid the subject.  ;-)