[Proj] Inverse Winkel Tripel and others

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 13:05:53 EDT 2008

After sleeping on the problem for a bit and enjoying the services of my new
toy introduced in the tmerc circus I am now of the opinion that GSL is
probably not needed in inversing inverseless projections.

However, libproj4 will need one or two tweeks to lib_proj.h and introduction
of a new support routine.  I suspect the changes will warrant a boost of the
release number from 4.3 to 4.4.  If the methods I now envision works, it will
still take some time to apply it to all the inverse-less projections; even
then some will probably remain inverse-less.  Worry about that later.

I will use Winkel Tripel as the first development/test case.