[Proj] Some need for updated proj-4 manuals

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Sun Sep 14 21:54:48 EDT 2008

Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> kirjoitti:

> with due respect, libproj's documentation responsibility ends with
> the library interface and internals. It is well beyond the scope of the
> project to supply a linking application's end-users with a textbook
> primer on geodesy. I view it as a bit ungrateful to ask them to do so
> for you, regardless of the fact that they may be experts in the field
> and well qualified to do so.

Well, my idea is simply to let those people that best know the business
to also do it. And there is actually no extra work required. Better to say
it would be only to divide what has been done so that the end user do
not need to read everything... only what they need to.

Actually the minimium would be to have a list of available projections, maybe
some picture how it looks and an accurate description of all parameters
and how they affect the result. And MOST OF THAT is already done what
I have seen. It would be just to sort them. SInce I don't have the original
scripts of the manuals and since it would benefit also the other. it would
be most efficient to be done so that the resulting material would be available
for everybody... not just some solution that uses the library.

The idea behind using libraries is that such work that can be done only
once... also would be done only once.

Janne.