[Proj] Non - earth projection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 22 16:24:41 EDT 2008

Klemen S. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have problem with setting up projection.
> I have MapInfo file which is in Non-earth projection.
> I like to use this file in MapServer (as WMS Server) but i dont know
> how to setup up Non-earth projection.
>
> Can someone please help me ?

Hi,

I believe "nonearth" in MapInfo terms means an arbitrary local
working coordinate system, is that right?  One that cannot generally
be related to a location on the earth systematically?

There is no mechanism for such a coordinate system in PROJ.4, and to
use such data in MapServer you have two general approaches:

1) Just leave coordinate system info (PROJECTION blocks) out of your
map file entirely.  MapServer will assume everything is in the same
coordinate system and everything should be fine ... assuming that is true.

2) Fake a coordinate system.  Just dummy up a fake coordinate system
with the right linear units, (anything is fine ... ie. +proj=utm +zone=11
+datum=WGS84).  But be aware you still can't overlay anything in another
coordinate system, and you can't *properly* run any services that depend
on real world coordinates like WMS.

If you have further questions on this topic it would be better to ask
on the mapserver-users list.