[Proj] Some questions

Michael P Finn mfinn at usgs.gov
Tue Apr 7 11:58:04 EST 2009

Noel, thank you for sharing the explanation.   Mike Finn

From:
"Noel Zinn" <ndzinn at comcast.net>
To:
"'PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions'" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Date:
04/07/2009 06:03 AM
Re: [Proj] Some questions
Sent by:
proj-bounces at lists.maptools.org

Janne,

Your two objectives, (1) full ellipsoid control and (2) more and more
accuracy, are contradictory and self defeating.  As we learned in the
Google
Maps debate, allowing full ellipsoid control changes the definition of the
projection that (you think) you are using.  For example, the spherical
Mercator is conformal if the geographicals (lat/lon) come from a sphere of
the correct radius.  But if we feed the spherical Mercator equations
geographicals that come from an ellipsoid, the result is non conformal.
The
projection we are actually using is not the spherical Mercator but some
Pseudo Mercator because the equations for distortion (scale factor in this
case) have to be rewritten.  That is not "more and more accuracy".  It's
the
opposite.  Who knows what happens to other conformal projections?  Who
knows
what happens to the equal area property of equal area projections?
Cartography is more than XY to and from LL.  Projections have properties.
Full ellipsoid control destroys those properties.

Noel Zinn