[Proj] Terminology: what should I call 60 nautical miles?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 27 11:28:48 EST 2009

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> Its purpose was probably for the navigator to always
> have a handy scale at the left or right edge of the chart for measuring
> his/her course.
>
> For some unknown reason it is still used by sea/air navigators.  Must be
> retained as a link to the romantic history of travel.  Certainly has no other
> legitimate usage.

I use it all the time: is that "handy scale at the left or right edge of
the chart" no longer a legitimate usage?

It's certainly more useful that the statute mile!

I agree that there really is no need for a special name for 60nm -- If I
want nm, I use nm, if I want degrees of latitude, I use degrees of latitude.

Having said that, I do have an entry in my personal unit converter for
degrees of latitude as a distance (defined, for that purpose as 60nm)

;-)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov