[Proj] ITRF96/UTM 36N conversion

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 07:18:07 EST 2009

Mr. Gerald Evenden can clear your doubts about GEOD, since he is the author
of the program. I have used it only occasionally.

Anyway some comments on your experiments: If you are comparing distances at
millimetre level be aware that when you round your geographic coordinates
with 3 decimal places in seconds you are introducing an error of up to 1.5
cm, so your distance can be affected by a few centimetres. You can increase
the decimal places of the proj output (-W5, for 5 decimal places in seconds
or use decimal degrees).

If your distances are that small, i.e., just a few meters, then you can
calculate the distance in UTM just as the Euclidean distance
(sqrt((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)). The deformation in UTM projection (within one
zone) is most of the times smaller than 40 cm per km, and you can calculate
it and apply it if needed.

Regards

Jose Gonçalves