[Proj] Exact transverse Mercator code

strebe strebe at aol.com
Sun Feb 1 04:23:44 EST 2009

Mr. Karney:

I found your work very interesting. Thank you for the excellent depth.

I've posted here and image of yet another ellipsoidal transverse Mercator variation:
     http://www.mapthematics.com/Wallis1TransverseMercator.tif

This one's properties are:
     Conformal (of course)
     Straight central meridian (of course)
     Parallels are equally spaced.

The importance of this last property is that the projection then may be squeezed through the rectifying latitude calculation as applied to the complex plane, and out pops Gauß-Krüger. I generated the map using the same eccentricity in your examples so that the 81st meridian (and 99th) will run into the singularities. The graticule is 9°. The projection is cropped at a distance of 4 arc seconds around the singularities; in point of fact the projection is infinite in extent.

There are many ways of developing this projection, since it simply requires a conformal projection onto the plane, treating the (x, y) coordinates as a single complex variable z, and then taking the inverse of the conformal projection acting upon z. This returns the x-axis to equal spacing of parallels, dragging the entire conformal plane along for the ride. In practice I use ellipsoidal stereographic as the simplest. Regardless of method, computing the inverse is onerous because it is not closed-form and not well-behaved around the singularities ±π(1±e)/2.

For reference I will call this the Wallis I transverse Mercator. The method is due to Dr. David E. Wallis.

In point of fact, you can reduce the complexity of the rectifying latitude calculation on the way to Gauß-Krüger by transforming coordinates from the Wallis 1 to their parametric co-latitudes. Thence the transformation to Gauß-Krüger needs nothing more than application of the elliptic integral of the second kind. I will call this transformation Wallis II. You can see it here:
     http://www.mapthematics.com/Wallis2TransverseMercator.tif

This version, being finite, requires no artificial clipping.

I have not looked in detail at how our results compare for the Gauß-Krüger, though spot-checking several points showed we agree to sub-micrometer precision.

Regards,
— daan Strebe