[Proj] The world of ECEF aka geocentric coordinates

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Tue Feb 3 07:54:54 EST 2009

Hello,

"Gerald I. Evenden" [geraldi.evenden at gmail.com] kirjoitti:
> A second issue arose and is the preferred or official designation of lat-lon-h
> coordinates.  Is geographic or geodetic preferred?  I have a tendency to use
> the two designations interchageably and mix them freely in emails and
> documentation.

I would call lat-lon-h just "coordinates" and northings and eastings
"projection coordinates". It would be recommed to tell also in which
datum they are and if the elevation is relative to the geoid or the
reference ellipsoid (or somthing else).

Something like:
    lat N/S, lon E/W, h ref_ellipsoid/geoid name, datum name

For example:

   60.549N, 19.341E, 324.56 m WGS84 ellps, WGS84 datum

   or just

   60.549N, 19.341E, 324.56, WGS84

Regards: Janne.