[Proj] Lat-Lon values under different ellipsoides

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Fri Feb 6 09:18:52 EST 2009

As an addition, look how the British Ordnance survey solves the problem
of converting Lat-Lon values from one ellipse to another:

" To summarise: for a simple datum change of latitude and longitude
coordinates from datum A to datum B, first convert to Cartesian
coordinates (formulae in annexe B) taking all ellipsoid heights as zero
and using the ellipsoid parameters of datum A; then apply a Helmert
transformation from datum A to datum B using equation (3); finally
convert back to latitude and longitude using the ellipsoid parameters of
datum B (formulae in annexe C), discarding the datum B ellipsoid height. "

This would mean that different lat-lon values for different ellipsoids
are *derived* from projected coordinates, not the other way round, as I
thought. I still don't get the relationship between those computed
lat-lon values and the astronomical ones though.

Jan