[Proj] Similar datum transforms for MGI differ too much.

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Feb 20 05:24:17 EST 2009

Hello,
I think I have found confirmation for my theory on Wikipedia:

> According to the European longitude adjustment of Theodor Albrecht
> (ca. 1890) the Ferro meridian is 17° 39' 46.02" west of the Greenwich meridian.
> But for the geodetic networks of Austria, Germany and Czechoslovakia, the
> value 17° 40' 00" was adopted in the 1920s ...
> For the geodetic networks of Hungary and Yugoslavia, the value of
> Albrecht was used prior to the switch to the Greenwich prime meridian.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Hierro#The_.22Meridian_Island.22 )

That Albrecht's value is used in Yugoslavia, is also confirmed by the
University of Pittsburgh: http://corona.eps.pitt.edu/Website/yugoslavia.html
(except that they say 17° 39' 36", but I think the 36" must be a typo
and 46" was intended).

So, the MGI (Ferro) datum was surveyed in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
in the 1800s, and covered what is now Austria and former Yugoslavia.
This was a single, continuous geodetic datum.

But when Greenwich replaced Ferro as the prime meridian in the 1920s,
Yugoslavia was politically (and geodetically) independent from Austria,
so the countries used different values for the Ferro longitude.  A "Ferro curtain"
was lowered between Austria and Yugoslavia, so that MGI (Greenwich) in Austria
differs from MGI (Greenwich) in Yugoslavia by 14 arc seconds of longitude (or
possibly only 13.98 arc seconds).

I think it is wrong of EPSG to say that MGI (Greenwich) is a single datum that
covers Austria and former Yugoslavia. A datum can have distortions, but an
abrupt 300 meter discontinuity at a political boundary...?

Anyway, if a datum shift is intended for MGI in Austria, but is used for MGI
in former Yugoslavia, the results are wrong by about 300 meters.  This means
that the current TOWGS84 parameters are bad in the OGC WKT on the following
pages on www.spatialreference.org :

   MGI / Balkans zone 5, EPSG:31275, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31275

   MGI / Balkans zone 6, EPSG:31276, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31276

   MGI / Balkans zone 7, EPSG:31277, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31277

   MGI / Balkans zone 8, EPSG:31278, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31278

   MGI / Slovenia Grid, EPSG:2170, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2170

   MGI / Sloven National Grid, EPSG:3787,  http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2170

Because they use TOWGS84 parameters that are intended for MGI in Austria.
Also, the OGC WKT for

   MGI, EPSG:4312, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4312

does the same thing, so it can be used only in Austria.
And the OGC WKT for

   MGI (Ferro), EPSG:4805, http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4805

gives the rounded value for the longitude of Ferro, which is used only in Austria.

EPSG suggests some good datums shifts for MGI in former Yugoslavia.
However, note that EPSG's general "MGI (Ferro) to MGI (1)" datum shift, code 1757,
uses the rounded value of the Ferro longitude, so it is applicable only in Austria,
not in former Yugoslavia as EPSG claims.

I wonder if there are other European datums that have been divided by the "Ferro curtain"?

--
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB