[Proj] How to use +towgs84

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:37:54 EST 2009

Any coordinate system must have a "towgs84" or any other form of conversion
to a global datum. In particular WGS84 itself has "+towgs84=0,0,0". You
should use:

  cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=mod_airy +towgs84=xxxxx +to +proj=latlong
+ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0
where xxxxx is the set of 7 parameters you have. They should have signs
according to the conversion from local datum to WGS84 and rotations must
agree with the "position vector rotation" method (not "coordinate frame
rotation"). For the conversion from WGS84 to local datum just change the two
coordinate system strings, not the signs.

Instead of  using
    +proj=latlong +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0
you can use
    +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84
which is equivalent.

Regards