[Proj] TR: Getting Proj information after pj_init has been thrown

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:02:48 EST 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 12:47:27 pm Till wrote:
> Sorry if duplication.
>
> I’m re-posting it, since it does not show in the mailing lists, whatever
> link I tried

I cannot speak for what was done to the proj.4 path but the header for
libproj4 has comments that detail the content of the structure that
proj_init() (updated pj_init) returns and that includes details of the
ellipsoid parameters but not the ellipsoid name.  The ascii projection
parameters are also available in the linked list in the same structure.  Most
of this was also available in the older proj versions.

I think the old proj program had the -V switch which dumped the settings,
including ellipse parameters, of a init() return structure.  Certainly, lproj
has -V,

Again, it is really sad that the original proj distribution had not been
preserved and was needlessly altered.  i am of very little help on current
proj.4 details.  I do note that the struct PJconsts in projects.h contains
the comments I wrote but how it is used is unknown.

As soon as I get the geodesic distribution completed and out in a day or two I
will start to apply much of the techniques initiated there to complete
overhaul of libproj4.  I will add that changes in programatic linkage should
be minimal.  More later.

Alas, these efforts are of no help for proj.4 problem.