[Proj] Method of reference to license within software code modules

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:44:26 EST 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 8:16:14 pm Charles Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:43:25 -0500, "Gerald I. Evenden" said:
> > Question: does/should a copy of the license that covers a program module
> > be
> > placed within each and every source file??
>
> The usual practice is yes, when the license itself is short (20-30
> lines). So, MIT license, BSD, usually yes.
>
> > I had been putting a copy of the MIT in every file of whatever that ends
> > up in
> > a distubution tarball.  Is that necessary?  I doubt that a copy of the
> > 10,000
> > lines of GPL ends up in each of Stallman's files.  ;-)
>
> Right. The FSF gives the following advice:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
> which basically says: here's 20-30 lines of boilerplate that goes in
> each and every file; include one copy of the entire GPL in your package.

I cannot find a reference to that line 20-30 count---but I nit-pick.  Their
example that references the COPYING file is about 15 lines.  The MIT is about
27 lines.

> So, that's the way RMS's files are done.
>
> > Is a reference and url (such as
> > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
> > sufficient?
>
> Usually no, as Frank mentioned.

Again, I agree.

> > Anyway, I feel that I have been a bit excessive.
>
> Nope, I think you did it just right.

Over a third of what I distribute is nothing but repeated license.

> --
> Chuck

Besides, Frank does not even follow his own advice.  Many of the files in
proj-4.4.9 don't have any license---and it is *not* my code.  :-)