[Proj] Geo Transfoms and calculations

Charles Karney ckarney at sarnoff.com
Tue Jan 6 17:56:52 EST 2009

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> The need for readline or something like it is so universal it should
> be supported under a more general license.  Can you imagine using
> 'bash' or any of the other shell programs without it?  Usage applies
> to any command line program.  Just like the program I am working on:
> without it if you make an error typing in a line, you have to do the
> whole line over; if you made an error on the last command, again, type
> it over.  Without it you can't back up and make a quick fix.

Some other suggestions:

Code your programs without readline but suggest that the user invoke
them with rlwrap(1) which intercepts the keyboard input and does the
readline magic on it.  E.g.,

    rlwrap proj +proj=utm +lon_0=112w +ellps=clrk66 -r
    45d15.55N -111d30

Code your program to do something useful with flags and 1 (or 2) lines
of input, and then use a pipe and bash's readline capabilities.  E.g.,

    echo 45d15.55N -111d30 | proj +proj=utm +lon_0=112w +ellps=clrk66 -r

--
Charles Karney <ckarney at sarnoff.com>
Sarnoff Corporation, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662