[Proj] Lat-Lon values under different ellipsoides

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Jan 27 06:45:56 EST 2009

Thanks Duncan, that is an excellent suggestion. There is a book about
the geoid in the Netherlands
(http://www.ncg.knaw.nl/eng/publications/Green/34DeMin.html) and I'll
try to contact the author.

Even so, my question remains: how can different ellipsoids produce
different lat-lon coordinates? Different datums certainly do: the same
point in the Netherlands has a different lat-lon value for the WGS84
datum than for the older Bessel ellipsoid. I would really appreciate if
someone explained how those lat-lon values are derived for a specific
ellipsoid.

Jan