[Proj] The trouble with grid datum correction files

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 19:10:55 EST 2009

On Saturday 04 July 2009 7:27:25 pm Christopher Hunt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I do not claim to fully understand the context of the issue here, but
> as a software developer I have an expectation for portable binary data
> to be presented in big endian form. My expectation is derived from the
> big endian nature of data in binary network protocols
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endian#Endianness_in_networking ).

For the moment, I do not think we should concern ourselves with binary data
*and* network protocol.  This introduces an additional complex layer on a
problem which may already be out of anyones control --- at least in this
group's.

At the moment what bothers me most is the fact that I have the strong feeling
that those who assembled these data bases were either ignorant of the problem
or chose to ignore it.  This is evidenced by the total lack of any comment
about the subject by the distributers.