[Proj] Unicode

Irwin Scollar al001 at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 5 02:06:43 EST 2009

Janne wrote:

>if there are any issues with any text files I would very much
>recommend to use Unicode.

Unicode may break the code in many other routines from external
sources in a compiled programme. If one doesn't have source code, it
will cause run-time errors that break the programme even if it
compiles.  There may also be incompatibilities with DLL's leading to
buffer overflows.  This can't be fixed unless you can recompile the
source for the DLL and any routines which are used for building it.

These caveats don't apply of course if you have all sources in hand
for a very small programme and don't mind reworking everything where needed.

I have experienced exactly this problem with the programme I maintain
when I try to use the Code Gear Delphi 2009 compiler that  has
switched all string processing to Unicode by default.  It produces
thousands of error messages from various external supplier's source
code which the compiler tries to rebuild them for linking into my
programme. There are no problems with earlier compiler versions that
don't use Unicode unless specifically requested.

Irwin Scollar