[Proj] Unicode

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:34:24 EST 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 1:54:55 pm Glynn Clements wrote:
> support.mn at elisanet.fi wrote:
> > if there are any issues with any text files I would very much recommend
> > to use Unicode.
>
> There aren't any issues with text files.
>
> I can think of precisely two cases where PROJ *might* want to use
> characters outside of the ASCII repertoire:
>
> 1. Correct spelling of "Plate Carée".

You forgot Hözel, Larrivée, Putniņš projections to name a few.  Tsk, tsk.

I am not too sure on the details of the last as the s shown is with a caron
but it may be more proper with a breve.  Also the n is done elsewhere with
a "dot" rather than the cedilla shown here.  But whatcha going to do?

And, of course, Krüger!  How could we forget?

> 2. The degree symbol.
>
> I can't see how either of these could be sufficiently important to be
> worth the effort of dealing with the morass of issues related to text
> encodings.

Besides, why take up vast quantities of bytes with 16 bit code where special
inline doublet or triplet escape coding like LaTex uses can do the job with 7
bit ASCII with ease.