[Proj] PROJ and M$

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 15 14:37:18 EST 2009

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> It would seem that minGW is the choice over Cygwin but I am a little concerned
> over the terminology of "Win32" and how does this involve 64 bit cpus.  The
> Wiki was a little overwhelming and did not give me complete confidence that
> this is no problem.

64-bit versions of Windows will run both 32-bit and 64-bit executables
and DLLs. The main compatibility issue is that 64-bit versions of
Windows need 64-bit device drivers; user-space code shouldn't be
affected.

> My question to the practicality oriented: is there any problem using minGW on
> a 64 bit XP and generating DLL's and exe's good for any M$ machine?

Regardless of the version of Windows on which it runs, the stock MinGW
distribution will generate 32-bit code which will run on either 32-bit
or 64-bit versions of Windows.