[Proj] Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les projections des cartes (Auguste Tissot, 1881)

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Sun Nov 15 10:46:05 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul B. Anderson" <pbander at cavtel.net>
To: "PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:04 PM
Subject: [Proj] Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les
projections des cartes (Auguste Tissot, 1881)

- Hi everyone,

If there is any interest here, Google has scanned the French text:
Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les projections des cartes
By Auguste Tissot (1881)

http://books.google.com/books?id=a5YOAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Auguste+tissot&ei=LAoAS-_lFaD2ygT9vOz3Dg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Note that in Google's PDF download version there are about 7 blank pages
between the book cover and where the text begins.

REPLY:

Interesting! Mr. Tissot was the inventor of the Tissot indicatrix.
I knew that, but it's amusing to see a key publication.
I couldn't get it from Google; probably 'cos I'm not registrered?
I got the Google pdf from the Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/details/mmoiresurlarepr00tissgoog
See the link "All Files: HTML".
BTW: page 198 is unsharp at the right.
Pages 199-285 are apparently forbidden - they are not in the pdf.
There's no copyright on the book, so why should Google omit these pages?

Oscar van Vlijmen