[Proj] Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les projections des cartes (Auguste Tissot, 1881)

Karney, Charles ckarney at Sarnoff.com
Sun Nov 15 12:23:00 EST 2009

Thanks for the pointer.  Indeed Google Books is a treasure trove for old
books.  One other oldie is

    Johann Heinrich Lambert 1772
    Beyträge zum Gebrauche der Mathematik und deren Anwendung,
    http://books.google.com/books?id=sf82AAAAMAAJ

This is only part 3; I couldn't find the other parts on Google.

I have found 2 problems with Google Books

(1) The indexing of books is rather hit-or-miss.  This is particularly a
problem when searching for journal articles (some journals appear with
variant of the title, the volume number isn't listed in the search
results, etc.).

(2) The scanning is sometimes hit-or-miss.  Some pages are accidentally
skipped.  Fold-out pages of figures are not folded out.  Etc.

For this reason, it would be great if someone could start compiling a
bibliography of online books and papers on projections.  I started such
a bibliography for geodesics at

    http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/GeodesicCalculations#TheHistory

(which now has 75 entries) and several of the works I include (by Gauss,
Helmert, etc.) deal with projections.

BTW, the URL for Tissot's book can be shortened to

    http://books.google.com/books?id=a5YOAAAAYAAJ

  --Charles
--
Charles Karney <ckarney at sarnoff.com>
Sarnoff Corporation, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312