[Proj] Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les projections des cartes (Auguste Tissot, 1881)

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Sun Nov 15 13:25:19 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul B. Anderson" <pbander at cavtel.net>
To: "PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Proj]Mémoire sur la représentation des surfaces et les
projections des cartes (Auguste Tissot, 1881)

- Oscar,

There must be a problem with the way the post arrived to you, and is broken.
Before I sent the original post I logged totally out of Google to test the
link - and it worked. All the text that you say is missing in the copy you
found is in the one at google books. In your case I would suggest going to
Google Books and do an author search. You may find the better document that
way.

REPLY:

Thanks for your support, Paul & Gerald.
Rushing though the book I noticed bad scans and deducted that a range of
pages were missing.
Upon more careful inspection I noticed however that there are two bad scans
interspersed between pages 285 and 286. These ghost pages are superfluous,
because _all_ book pages are indeed scanned and in the correct order.

Indeed, there are many more problems with scanned books on the internet, as
Charles noted.
One of the examples I encountered:

Direct and inverse solutions of geodesics, E.M. Sodano, Th.A. Robinson, Army
Map Service Technical Report No. 7 (Rev), July 1963
http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/AD657591

It's a "best available copy", but the scanning is very weak.

Oscar van Vlijmen