[Proj] Notes and Comments on the Composition of Terrestrial and Celestial Maps

Karney, Charles ckarney at Sarnoff.com
Sun Nov 22 06:54:10 EST 2009

Google has scans of 2 German versions of this work.

(1) J. H. Lambert, Anmerkungen und Zusätze zur Entwerfung der Land- und
Himmelscharten, in Beyträge zum Gebrauche der Mathematik und deren
Anwendung (Part 3, Berlin, 1772), pp. 105-199

  http://books.google.com/books?id=sf82AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA105

In common with many technical books of this era, the figures and tables
appear on fold-out pages which Google scans folded up!

(2) J. H. Lambert, Anmerkungen und Zusätze zur Entwerfung der Land- und
Himmelscharten, Ostwald's Klassiker der exakten Wissenschaften, Nr 54,
edited by A. Wangerin (Leipzig, 1894)

  http://books.google.com/books?id=o_s_MR3NUD4C

The reprint retains the spelling of the original, but modernizes the
typeface and the mathematical notation.  In addition the figures are
given in the text.

Both of these Google scans are of copies in the University of Michigan
and were presumably used by Tobler for his translation.  (The Ostwald
edition is signed by Alexander Ziwet.)

--
Charles Karney <ckarney at sarnoff.com>
Sarnoff Corporation, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662