[Proj] PROJ 4.7.0 beta1 Release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 23 21:52:37 EST 2009

Folks,

I have prepared a beta for a 4.7.0 release at:

   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.7.0b1.tar.gz

NEWS:

  o Added in memory caching of init file search results for substantial
    acceleration in some application environments (like MapServer).

  o Regenerated nad/epsg init file with EPSG 7.1 database, including new
    support for Google Mercator (EPSG:3857).

  o Various thread safety improvements, including preliminary support for
    a mutex lock around some operations, like grid loading.

Feedback welcome in the next few days after which I'll either issue a new
beta, or promote this to a final release.