[Proj] PROJ 4.7.0 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 29 13:41:27 EST 2009

Folks,

I am pleased to announce the release of PROJ 4.7.0 available from:

   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.7.0.tar.gz
   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.7.0.zip

Release notes from the NEWS file:

  o Added in memory caching of init file search results for substantial
    acceleration in some application environments (like MapServer).

  o Regenerated nad/epsg init file with EPSG 7.1 database, including new
    support for Google Mercator (EPSG:3857).

  o Various thread safety improvements, including preliminary support for
    a mutex lock around some operations, like grid loading.

I plan to put out an OSGeo4W update based on this shortly.  I would encourage
other platform packages to incorporate this release as practical.  As always
feedback is welcome, and bug reports can be filed at:

   http://proj.osgeo.org/