[Proj] Standard projection for Mediterranean basin

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Sat Feb 13 12:28:57 EST 2010

Hello,

I use PROJ.4 via GRASS GIS, and I would like to know if anyone is aware
of a standard projection for mapping the whole Mediterranean basin. I
need to do raster-based statistics on the maps, so I guess what I am
looking for is an equal area projection.

What I have found on the Web is a GIS built by the Joint Research Center
(JRC http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/) that used Lambert Azimuthal Equal
Area (LAEA) for the Mediterranean:
http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/info/faq.htm#projection

However, it adopted the same projection center for both Europe and the
Mediterranean (0 °E and 48 °N). Is this correct?

There is also a workshop report
http://www.ec-gis.org/sdi/publist/pdfs/annoni-etal2003eur.pdf

that recommended LAEA with projection center 9 °E and 53 °N to be used
for statistical mapping in the European Union.

Based on this background it seems like LAEA would be fine. However, I am
unsure if there is a standard projection center and datum.

Thank you for any hints. Kind regards,

Luigi