[Proj] +axis switch to control axis orientation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Feb 28 23:46:09 EST 2010

Folks,

As part of an effort to support the transverse mercator south orientated
based coordinate systems as well as a few other coordinate systems with
unusual axis orientations I have tentatively introduced support for a new
+axis parameter for coordinate systems in PROJ.4 (the OSGeo version).

The +axis switch takes three character arguments defining the axis
orientation of the coordinate system.  The possible values are:

'e' - easting
'w' - westing - an x/longitude with the opposite sign to normal.
'n' - northing
's' - southing - a y/latitude with the opposite sign to the normal.
'u' - up - normal z
'd' - down - a z/elevation with the opposite sign to the normal.

So, a normal coordinate system is defined as "+axis=enu".  This is the
default and it may be omitted in the normal case.  Some variations:

"end" - Normal in x/y but the Z is a depth rather elevation.
"neu" - reversed x/y axes, for instance +proj=latlong +axis=neu would truely
         be a latitude/longitude coordinate system.
"wsu" - A coordinate system with the sign of x and y negated as is used
         for transverse mercator south orientated.

I have committed preliminary support for this switch in PROJ.4 trunk.  I
should note that the axis switching is done on entrance to pj_transform()
and (in reverse) on exit.  So applications, like proj, that call pj_fwd()
and pj_inv() directly will ignore the axis orientation just as they ignore
the prime meridians, and datum shifts.   However, programs that do use
pj_transform() - like cs2cs - will utilize the axis orientation switches.

eg.
cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84 \
   +to \
        +proj=tmerc +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +k_0=1 +lon_0=31 +lat_0=0 \
                    +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +axis=wsu
30.5 -29.5
48483.46        3264793.45 0.00

Though this is already in trunk, I am seeking feedback from the community
on the approach.  Whether it seems sufficiently general for other possible
uses, and whether the naming seems reasonable.

I should note that anyone who feels that non-projection coordinate system
services (like datum shifts, etc) do not belong in PROJ.4 need not feel
obligated to make that point again in reference to +axis.  It can be assumed
to apply.

If there is no widespread outcry against this functionality, I will
document it properly and make modifications to the mechanisms for
generating the epsg init file to take advantage of it.